The Cooperativa de Caficultores del Sur del Tolima (CAFISUR) is a cooperative from the Tolima coffee-growing region located in the central part of the Colombian Andes.
Cooperatives like CAFISUR receive stable and fair prices and benefit from their contributions to social development programs, especially when the coffee market suffers worrisome lows.
VMCT has engaged in a new project in this region of Colombia. The project is to empower women and gender equity in Colombia's post-armed conflict zones. VMCT has partnered with the CAFISUR Cooperative, the FCLI (a Canadian government fund), Agro Café and, The Coffee Source.
CAFISUR Project Background
Vail Mountain Coffee and Tea Co has been purchasing coffee from the CAFISUR Tolima Cooperative for the last 4 years and wanted to be more involved in the community that produces such amazing quality coffee.
- General lack of technical expertise in processing and harvesting coffee
- Lack of physical assets to successfully mill coffee.
- Living Conditions are very poor with deteriorating structures and poor shelter.
- Several women have not been able to formally legalize the ownership of their estates
- Improvement of wet mill systems providing de-pulping equipment and new fermentation tanks.
- Create adequate pulp and waste water management systems
- Provide training programs focusing on quality, processing and sustainable harvesting.
- Provide technical assistance to increase productivity
- Increase quality of life along with psychosocial support and gender empowerment
When you purchase this coffee a portion of the proceeds goes towards this program.
Grower: Kachalu Grower Association
Varietal: Caturra, Castillo
Tasting notes: A buttery cashew body with notes of sugar plum and cocoa-like finish.